Fireworks are one of the most popular ways to celebrate Independence Day, but they can also be dangerous to your health.
Americans purchase more than 258 million pounds of fireworks every year, according to the American Pyrotechnics Association. They're legal in all 50 states—and they're actually more toxic than you might think.
Fireworks are made of metals that give them their vibrant color, such as lead and copper. When these metals combust in the air, they release chemicals called "volatiles," which may cause cancer. These chemicals can enter your body through inhalation or ingestion (even if you eat food or drink something that comes into contact with contaminated soil). Lead is especially dangerous for children because it can damage their growing brains and nervous systems.
The smoke from fireworks can also contain lead, copper and other harmful toxins. In fact, firework smoke contains more toxic pollutants than the pollution we breathe every day. According to a study published by researchers at NYU Grossman School of Medicine, toxic levels of lead were found in 2 out of 12 types of commercially available fireworks sampled.
Should you avoid fireworks all together? We wouldn’t go that far, but it's important to understand how fireworks could affect those around you — especially children, the elderly and people with asthma or other breathing issues.
We suggest making sure you have clean air to come back to once you’re done enjoying some 4th of July fun. The powerful, German-made IDEAL air purifiers clean your air reliably, effectively, and silently – a difference you can feel.